Additional MATE repository for fedora 19

MATE installation on Fedora [wiki]

Moderators: dmashal, Nice&Gently

Additional MATE repository for fedora 19

Postby Nice&Gently » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 pm

This is an additional reop for forthcoming fedora 19 release, which includes community packages which aren't in fedora's official repo's.
They are full compatible with MATE-1.6 and fedora's MATE packages.

Package list:
-- caja-actions
Caja actions is an extension for Caja, the MATE file manager.
It provides an easy way to configure programs to be launch on files
selected in Caja interface.

-- caja-terminal
Caja Terminal is a terminal embedded in Caja, the MATE's file browser.
It is always open in the current folder, and follows the navigation
(like an automated "cd" command).

-- mate-color-manager
mate-color-manager is a session framework that makes it easy to manage, install
and generate color profiles in the MATE desktop.

-- mate-disk-utility
This package contains the Palimpsest disk management application.
Palimpsest supports partitioning, file system creation, encryption,
RAID, SMART monitoring, etc.

-- mate-mplayer
MATE MPlayer is a simple GUI for MPlayer. It is intended to be a nice tight
player and provide a simple and clean interface to MPlayer. MATE MPlayer has
a rich API that is exposed via DBus. Using DBus you can control a single or
multiple instances of MATE MPlayer from a single command.
This package provides a full-featured binary.

-- mate-nettool
MATE Nettool is a front-end to various networking command line
tools, like ping, netstat, ifconfig, whois, traceroute, finger.

-- mate-themes-extras
The mate-themes-extras package contains a collection of GTK2/3 desktop
themes for all gtk based desktops.
These themes can change the appearance of application widgets, icons,
window borders, cursors, etc.
This package is optimized for GTK3-3.6.x.

-- faience-icon-theme (needed for mate-themes-extras)
-- gnome-colors-icon-theme (needed for mate-themes-extras)
-- gtk-smooth-engine (needed for mate-themes-extras)
-- python-caja (needed for caja-terminal)

Installation:
Code: Select all
yum install https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105479527/Mate-Desktop/fedora-release-extra-19/mate-desktop-fedora/noarch/mate-desktop-extra-release-19-1.fc19.noarch.rpm


Now you can install the packages via yum. I also add a group install information which installs all packages except mate-mplayer (rpmfusion needed)
Code: Select all
 yum groupinstall mate-desktop-extra


Feel free to test and use those packages. ;)

Edit:
I did removed mintmenu from f19 repo, because it is now in fedora's repos for F17/18/19
Edit:
caja-dropbox is now available at rpmfusion-nonfree repo
Life's too short for boring desktops
User avatar
Nice&Gently
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 am
Location: Berlin, germany, old europe

Re: Additional MATE repository for fedora 19

Postby megaloman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:54 pm

A few bugs noted so far:

* caja-terminal is installed by default, when installing mate-desktop-extras, I think it should be optional as changing configuration does not save.
* weather forecast not showing in a date widget on a taskbar, but shows when expanded
* some widgets don't update background colour if I change engine to equinox-gtk (or any other using non-standard colour for bg)
* backgrounds are in variations of green, as it's Fedora I think they should be in variations of Blue (I find green colour very distracting)

haven't played with compiz yet, so far did a test only in a virtual machine :)
megaloman
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Re: Additional MATE repository for fedora 19

Postby Nice&Gently » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

megaloman wrote:* caja-terminal is installed by default, when installing mate-desktop-extras, I think it should be optional as changing configuration does not save.

My intention for the groupinstall was to give a possibility to install the whole repo to make it easy, not to seperate packages.
Shure i can make it optional, but why not making mate-color-manager or caja-dropbox or any other package optional?
For me this is one of my favorites, for you the favorite is mate-color-manager, making a package optional is a very subjective decision.
This repo is an additional repo, in result every package is optional, you don't need anyone for a standard installation.
But it is great for special solutions and preferences.
Anyway, i don't wanna remove the groupinstalll possibility in general, so if some didn't like a package he/she can remove it by hand.
megaloman wrote:* weather forecast not showing in a date widget on a taskbar, but shows when expanded
* some widgets don't update background colour if I change engine to equinox-gtk (or any other using non-standard colour for bg)
* backgrounds are in variations of green, as it's Fedora I think they should be in variations of Blue (I find green colour very distracting)

I hate the mix of green and blue too, totally ugly :)
But all your concerns affected official fedora packages and in the end Mate packages from upstream. With mate-desktop-1.6.1-3.fc19 or later you should have the default fedora background installed.
Feel free to fill out at issue report against mate-applets for weather applet at github or fedora bugzilla.
@ applets backgrounds
Every applet has different development history in gnome/mate, they don't use the same standard.
This makes it very difficult for a theme to display them in the same style. And if you use a transparent panel all is complete different.
For example, some themes use bg images some not, in result if a theme use bg images, they displayed only if the applet use also bg images.
I did develoment the new MATE themes, but i say a theme is in the end only a good compromise for all cases ;)
megaloman wrote:haven't played with compiz yet, so far did a test only in a virtual machine :)

Most (all imo) video drivers from VM's doesn't work with compiz, you need an installation on baremetal.

Thanks for testing MATE-1.6 in fedora
Life's too short for boring desktops
User avatar
Nice&Gently
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 am
Location: Berlin, germany, old europe

Re: Additional MATE repository for fedora 19

Postby megaloman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Nice&Gently wrote:
megaloman wrote:* caja-terminal is installed by default, when installing mate-desktop-extras, I think it should be optional as changing configuration does not save.

My intention for the groupinstall was to give a possibility to install the whole repo to make it easy, not to seperate packages.
Shure i can make it optional, but why not making mate-color-manager or caja-dropbox or any other package optional?
For me this is one of my favorites, for you the favorite is mate-color-manager, making a package optional is a very subjective decision.
This repo is an additional repo, in result every package is optional, you don't need anyone for a standard installation.
But it is great for special solutions and preferences.
Anyway, i don't wanna remove the groupinstalll possibility in general, so if some didn't like a package he/she can remove it by hand.

You are right, those are optional packages, so one will install those he/she needs.
Nice&Gently wrote:
megaloman wrote:* weather forecast not showing in a date widget on a taskbar, but shows when expanded
* some widgets don't update background colour if I change engine to equinox-gtk (or any other using non-standard colour for bg)
* backgrounds are in variations of green, as it's Fedora I think they should be in variations of Blue (I find green colour very distracting)

I hate the mix of green and blue too, totally ugly :)
But all your concerns affected official fedora packages and in the end Mate packages from upstream. With mate-desktop-1.6.1-3.fc19 or later you should have the default fedora background installed.
Feel free to fill out at issue report against mate-applets for weather applet at github or fedora bugzilla.

Will do!
Nice&Gently wrote:@ applets backgrounds
Every applet has different development history in gnome/mate, they don't use the same standard.
This makes it very difficult for a theme to display them in the same style. And if you use a transparent panel all is complete different.
For example, some themes use bg images some not, in result if a theme use bg images, they displayed only if the applet use also bg images.
I did develoment the new MATE themes, but i say a theme is in the end only a good compromise for all cases ;)


Agree, though when I selected equinox-gtk theme with dark panel... some of the applets kept light grey background, which made them impossible to read, as text was changed to white ;) Anyway, I am more than happy to stick to the light theme -- it's still better than using gnome-hell ;-)

Nice&Gently wrote:
megaloman wrote:haven't played with compiz yet, so far did a test only in a virtual machine :)

Most (all imo) video drivers from VM's doesn't work with compiz, you need an installation on baremetal.


Yep, that's why I didn't want to try to use compiz yet :) just need to find a free evening to reinstall F19 on my laptop.

Nice&Gently wrote:Thanks for testing MATE-1.6 in fedora

And thank you for spending time on providing MATE for Fedora :)
megaloman
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 pm


Return to Fedora

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest