Can only half change mouse pointer

Support on MATE usage

Moderator: flexiondotorg

Can only half change mouse pointer

Postby Alad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:11 pm

When I try to change my mouse pointer in Appearance, either the theme or the size, it doesn't fully apply. When the cursor changes to "busy" or "text", I can see my changes, but the normal "arrow" remains unchanged. I've found a few topics on this regard but none answered.

I'm running MATE 1.8 from a Debian 7 netinstall so perhaps a package is missing somewhere?
Alad

Re: Can only half change mouse pointer

Postby k3lt01 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Alad wrote:I'm running MATE 1.8 from a Debian 7 netinstall so perhaps a package is missing somewhere?
There is a reason MATE 1.8 isn't in the normal repo yet and that is because it is not complete for Debian. If you use the archive repo the expectation is that you can fix problems. Use the archive repo at your own risk.
Cobber Linux, Australasia's own.
My tutorials.
How to ask for help and get it the smart way.
How to Report Bugs in MATE
k3lt01

Postby Alad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware it's 1.8.0.0 and I'm happy to solve problems. But I've had a similar problem with XFCE settings in Openbox, but not in a full XFCE install, so I assume it's related. Perhaps someone would have a hint as to what's missing.
Alad

Postby k3lt01 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 pm

If it's happening in another DE that would indicate the problem is more related to Debian than to MATE or XFCE, although I may be wrong there. Does XFCE use gsettings? I haven't been into my XFCE installs in ages so I'm not quite sure were to start looking for configs that both MATE and XFCE use. Once I get my uni assignment out of the way I'll take a look and see what I can find but that will be a few days away yet.
My tutorials.
k3lt01

Postby Alad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks.

Does XFCE use gsettings?

No, it uses xfconf, but they're similar in other ways. To control settings, both MATE and XFCE use a settings daemon, mate-settings-daemon and (in 4.10) xfsettingsd respectively.

I believe that for the mouse, XFCE does this by setting Xresources (Xcursor.theme, Xcursor.size, Xcursor.theme_core), and mate also seems to have xrdb (org.mate.SettingsDaemon.plugins.xrdb).

However, after starting my computer today mate set the cursor correctly, and that without xrdb -q showing an entry. Funnily enough when I set the mouse via ~/.Xresources directly that didn't show either.

In my apt logs I found lightdm was updated to 1.6 - after going back to 1.2 the problem reappeared. Upgraded again, problem still there. Activated autologin - worked? Perhaps it's random. My only lead right now is to see what other display managers give.
Alad

Postby Alad » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 am

I'm having the same problem in Fedora 20 MATE 1.6/Compiz. Should I open a new thread in the Fedora section?
Alad

Postby k3lt01 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:28 am

Alad wrote:I'm having the same problem in Fedora 20 MATE 1.6/Compiz. Should I open a new thread in the Fedora section?
No, just add to this one save having non-distro specific issues discussed in distro specific forums.
My tutorials.
k3lt01

Postby mateuser » Thu May 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Same problem here.

Also Debian 7 netinstall + Mate 1.8 (mate-desktop-environment-extra package + deps)

On my laptop (same config, 14" 1400x1050, kernel videomodule is i915) the mouse cursor has same size everywhere.

On my desktop monitor (27" 2560x1440, kernel video module is nouveau) the mouse cursor is too big.
Except inside some applications, like Firefox etc.

Tried setting cursor size in the Mate Control Center, .Xresources etc, no chance.

Tried Mint LMDE also (Mate 1.6), same problem there, so this bug doesn't seem to be specially related to 1.8.

This cursor size is initially set somewhere, but where ?
Is it related to monitor resolution, or video driver ?

Very happy with Mate btw, just today switched from Debian 6 with Gnome 2.
mateuser

Postby Chazza » Sat May 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Create the following file: /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme

With the following text:

Code: Select all
[Icon Theme]
Inherits=nameofcursortheme

That should fix issues with inconsistent cursor themes.
Chazza

Postby mateuser » Sun May 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Chazza wrote:...
That should fix issues with inconsistent cursor themes.

That file was allreay there, and correctly set.

So ...

Mate mouse settings seem to be the problem.
Or X itself, this would be more logical, as the big mousecursor is allready present in the lightdm loginscreen.

The Desktop theme can influence mouse size too.
In my modified ~/.themes/<mytheme>.index CursorSize was set to 24.
So I set it to 16, and reloaded my theme (and see it change in dconf-editor).

Path to look for in dconf-editor: org.mate.desktop.peripherals.mouse

Setting motion-acceleration to 1.0 and motion-threshold to 1 gave me back my trusted Debian 6/Gnome 2 mouse movement.

These settings seem to survice between reboots.
Set from the Mate mouse controle panel is see them change in dconf-editor, but they don't survive a reboot, strange.

Setting cursor-size to 16 gave me the right cursor size in most non-Mate X apps.

... but not in Mate apps.

Other X apps honour it, but Mate itself doesn't seem to use all of the org.mate.desktop.peripherals.mouse settings.

I'm still not 100% sure about it, hence the 'seems to'.

As my laptop has exact the same configuration but with a lower resolution, it could be X and (maybe) resolution dependent ?

My 2 cents, and happy hacking.
mateuser

Next

Return to Desktop Help