Whisker-like menu for MATE

Post your idea for MATE!

Whisker-like menu for MATE

Postby Louis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm pretty happy about MATE and all it's applications however there's one big thing I miss, and that's a modern menu for MATE.

Gnome-main-menu is fine, but you can't search for apps or documents without opening a new window. However the Whisker Menu for Xfce is pretty awesome and I would really like something similar for MATE :)
Louis

Re: Whisker-like menu for MATE

Postby Alad » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 am

Alad

Postby Louis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 am

Alad wrote:https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu

The Mint Menu is quite buggy if you're not running a Mint-based distributions and it's therefore not an option in it's current state.

It nearly impossible to build on eg. Arch and it's worse than Gnome main menu if you want to search on your computer.
Louis

Postby Goro Daimon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Louis wrote:

The Mint Menu is quite buggy if you're not running a Mint-based distributions and it's therefore not an option in it's current state.

It nearly impossible to build on eg. Arch and it's worse than Gnome main menu if you want to search on your computer.
Try Cardapio.
Goro Daimon

Postby k3lt01 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Goro Daimon wrote:
Louis wrote:

Try Cardapio.
Cardapio is unmaintained now and as been for a couple of years. I have the source code on my github page but have not had a chance as yet to do anything with it.
Cobber Linux, Australasia's own.
My tutorials.
How to install MATE on Debian
How to ask for help and get it the smart way.
How to Report Bugs in MATE
k3lt01

Postby Goro Daimon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:44 pm

k3lt01 wrote:Cardapio is unmaintained now and as been for a couple of years. I have the source code on my github page but have not had a chance as yet to do anything with it.
Mate don't needs Whisker-like menu. Mate must use MintMenu or Cardapio as add-on. Mate must avoid waste memory space.
Goro Daimon

Postby k3lt01 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Goro Daimon wrote:
k3lt01 wrote:Cardapio is unmaintained now and as been for a couple of years. I have the source code on my github page but have not had a chance as yet to do anything with it.
Mate don't needs Whisker-like menu. Mate must use MintMenu or Cardapio as add-on. Mate must avoid waste memory space.
MintMenu looks nice but from reading various things on the internet the coding is a little sloppy which is what prompted Cardapio's creation.
Cobber Linux, Australasia's own.
My tutorials.
How to install MATE on Debian
How to ask for help and get it the smart way.
How to Report Bugs in MATE
k3lt01

Postby configX » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I completely agree with Goro. An additional menu would utilize precious memory. If you have memory to spare, such a menu should be optional and not default.
configX

Postby Bobby » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

If the new menu is an applet (additional to the default menu), then it is not loaded when not added to anything. So the only memory it consumes is on the harddisk.
Bobby

Postby nomko » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:07 am

In my understanding, the Cardapio dmenu is no longer under development (or stopped)? At first glance it looks nice. Almost a Cinnamon look-a-like. Should be continued though. Looks promising!
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!
nomko

Next

Return to Brainstorm